A healthy food is one that is good or beneficial to health or that provides it. The body works based on vitamins, minerals and multiple substances and nutrients that provide food. But not only are necessary to carry out daily activities, but proper selection and food planning can prevent many diseases and conditions that, in many cases, occur precisely due to an intake of unhealthy foods and bad habits, such as smoking or consuming alcohol.
One of the examples of lists of healthy foods is that which contains the Mediterranean diet , which is made up of varied products that, together, provide the necessary nutrients for day-to-day life, while preventing diseases such as atherosclerosis and cholesterol .
In addition to having a varied and balanced diet, it is also important to follow a series of healthy habits , such as exercising, avoiding stress as much as possible and getting enough rest.
It is important to know that excluding diets should not be done , since most of the foods and products that exist are necessary to maintain good health, that is, it is necessary to maintain a stable weight and avoid obesity , while consuming foods rich in carbohydrates , which should make up 50 percent of a normal person’s diet. Prioritizing the intake of the foods included in this list of healthy foods should not imply the exclusion of other products that are also necessary for the organism to carry out its functions.
The fruit is a food that should not be lacking in any healthy diet, since most of the vitamins that are needed in the day to day come from them . Although two examples are established here, any choice of this type of product is beneficial. The most healthy fruits include:
- Kiwi : It is one of the fruits richest in vitamin C , essential component for the creation of the substance that is produced between white blood cells and is necessary to maintain high levels of defenses that help the immune system to defend against external threats. It also has very high percentages of fiber and water, which make it a recommended fruit to combat constipation and lose weight.
- Apple : Contains, among other components, pectin, flavonoids, malic acid and quercetin, elements that help reduce cholesterol and blood glucose levels, so they are recommended to prevent cardiovascular disease . It is also rich in potassium and vitamin E.
Vegetables have always been considered as an example of beneficial foods that should not be missed during meals. However, it is green leafy vegetables that contain the most vitamins and nutrients . The vegetables that can be included in a healthy diet are:
- Broccoli : It is the vegetable that contains the highest nutritional value per unit weight of edible product. Besides being rich in vitamin C, niacin and folic acid , it contains beta carotene and vitamin E, so it has an antioxidant and cell regeneration effect.
- Carrot : It stands out for its high content of beta-carotene and its antioxidant properties. Its consumption reduces the impact of free radicals, harmful agents that can be produced both by external causes, such as pollution, and internal, of the body itself, and that attack cells favoring the onset of degenerative diseases, such as premature aging .
Cereals and pulses
Cereals and pulses have always played a prominent role in the history of food, thanks both to their low production cost and their nutritional benefits (they provide energy while they are low in fat ). Among these products we can highlight:
- Integral rice : The fact that it is integral prevents it from losing some of its properties in the refinement processes to which it is subjected in most cases. Besides being a product that brings a lot of energy, it has a low fat content and is very rich in fiber.
- Beans : These are the most iron- rich legumes , although since they are vegetable-type they are more difficult to absorb, so it is advisable to consume products rich in vitamin C, which favors their absorption. They also contain vitamin B1 and niacin, in addition to minerals such as manganese, copper, calcium and phosphorus.
Fish has a large amount of protein , while it has few saturated fats , despite being a food of animal origin. They are also a good source of vitamins and minerals , as well as omega 3 fatty acids , recommended to reduce cholesterol and prevent heart disease. Two of the healthiest fish are:
- Salmon : It is one of the fish richest in omega 3 fatty acids, so it helps reduce cholesterol and maintain the proper functioning of the brain. It is important, at the time of cooking, to do it on the grill or in the oven, since frying influences it in a negative way and oxidizes its content in essential fats.
- Sardines : In addition to containing omega 3 fatty acids, it is also a source of calcium, since it is a soft bone fish, so the thermal procedures to which they are submitted for consumption cause the calcium from their thorns to pass to the meat.
Meat is a source rich in proteins, vitamin B12, zinc, iodine, selenium and phosphorus , essential elements for the proper functioning of the organism. White meats are healthier than red meats , because they provide a large amount of protein while they are low in fat. Two examples of healthy white meats are:
- Chicken or turkey : Although white meats, such as chicken and turkey, are less rich in iron and zinc than red meats, they are high in phosphorus and potassium. In addition, they are rich in folic acid and niacin, which helps the functioning of the digestive system, skin and nerves, and is important for the conversion of food into energy.
- Rabbit : It has a high protein content while being low in fat. It also has a low sodium content, so it can be consumed by people with hypertension .
Within the Mediterranean diet, it is also common to consume other products, such as olive oil and wine . The oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which raises the levels of “good” cholesterol without increasing total cholesterol levels. In addition, thanks to oleic acid and its fats of vegetable origin, it helps to reduce the risk of obstructing the arteries .